[PD] New users and external path struggles

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 22:21:05 CEST 2017

I think what it boils down to is that the paths in st_staticpath (Pd) are used recursively and the paths in sys_searchpath (user) are not. This means if we have an deken externals download dir, we still have to add *each* external's subdirectories to sys_searchpath since it's not recursive, whereas throwing stuff in ../extra "just works". This would be why adding something like ~/Documents/Pd to st_staticpath is so attractive because it negates needing to add each lib to the user search paths.

Maybe we need an option to add recursive search paths?

> On Jul 30, 2017, at 10:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu <mailto:msp at ucsd.edu>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] New users and external path struggles
> Date: July 30, 2017 at 8:56:30 PM GMT+2
> To: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
> Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at <mailto:pd-list at iem.at>>
>

> Except perhaps in this thread I can try to explain... I always meant
> "standard path" to refer to "stuff distributed with Pd", and "Path" to
> be adjustible to point to libraries that are not part of the Pd distribution.
> I think part of the confusion comes from different possible interpretations
> of "standard path" (which, as I now realize, is badly named).  But I think
> the way forward is to somehow get the "path" mechanism to do what people are
> asking for.
>
> cheers
> Miller

--------