[PD] New users and external path struggles

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 22:46:09 CEST 2017

> > whereas throwing stuff in ../extra "just works".
>
> what do you mean by that? when I throw 'mylib' folder (containing foo.pd)
> into ../extra, I either have to add ../extra/mylib to the user paths OR do
> [declare -stdpath mylib] or always do [mylib/foo]. so ../extra (and other
> standard paths) are apparently *not* searched recursively when trying to
> load an object and behave the same as user paths. it's just with [declare]
> where the difference comes into play.

Yeah... We also need to add *each* external's subdirectories in such case,
if I get what you mean... Like, if I download "cyclone" to extra and I try
[cycle~], it fails. The options are: *A)* put cyclone's subdirectory in the
path, or *B)* use [cyclone/cycle~]; *C) *use [declare -stdpath cyclone]. So
it doesn't "just works", you gotta do one of these...

> This would be why adding something like ~/Documents/Pd to st_staticpath is
> so attractive because it negates needing to add each lib to the user search
> paths.

If ~/Documents/Pd was added to st_staticpath, you'd gain the options B) and
C), but you'd still have to put ~/Documents/Pd/cyclone in the path, if
that's how you roll (and you don't care for B/C). So that's not what
changes.

ps. I have that new thread :)