[PD] modal synthesis examples?

Jesse Mejia jmejia at anestheticaudio.com
Sun Aug 6 16:50:06 CEST 2017

Yes - I mentioned Ircam's Modalys and that  paper in my initial post. Because modal synthesis is so well known, and well documented, I'm surprised there isn't a similar (but free!) pd implementation. Something with abstractions instead of externals would be great.

So let's make one. I know it's a bank of resonant bandpasses, but working out their relationships based on the modal characteristics of physical shapes seems to be key, and abstracting those relationships to friendly controls.

The math in the papers is a bit beyond me but it looks like it's all there. I can't tell by looking at it if it's something that would be too hard/annoying to do with vanilla.. or if it's describable in a less math heavy way.

Alex - newly compiled versions of the stk would be great! I tried and failed at that about a year ago. But the faust implementations compile well from faust to pd.