[PD] modal synthesis examples?

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Mon Aug 7 13:56:53 CEST 2017

hello,

I had a look at a modalys-help.pd file. It appear that modalys is not implemented as a pd abstraction, but as a compiled object. I may be wrong, but I think this object use modalys file that define all material / shape / exitator / etc. So it's quite useless without the full modalys software.

anyway, in order to add my piece of answer to the original question:
about 20 years ago I  made my master degree about a bow / string interaction using a fake motorized bow and a virtual string.
2 different strings where implemented :

-The 1st sting was made using virtual 1D mass, spring and damper in a linear arrangement, just like a spacial discretisation of a real string. This result of incorrect tuning of high harmonics of the virtual string (regarding a real string)

-The 2nd string was made using something also named "modal synthesis" (but very different from modalys) : it was "just" mass/spring/damper 1D resonator connected together, a bit like the paper initially send in this thread.

Since modalys use matrices, I guess that it use more complex interaction between elements than a simple spring/damper interaction like I use to do. This result in being able to also simulate the shape of the vibrating structure.

Anyway, about 15 years ago I start the pmpd library (physical modelling for pure data) that provide simple mass / spring / damper simulation. The pmpd~ object allow this kind of simulation at audio rate. There is an example of the 1st kind of string simulation. The 2nd string can also be implemented thanks to this object, but I did not provide any example since I miss the way to tune the model.

pmpd~ provide only simple interaction, so I don't use it any-more. I use the pmpd object that is lot's more complex (but works only at data rate) and a simple hack to compute audio data. There is also an example in the library distribution.

if you are interested, you can try pmpd using apt-get or deken on linux. I know that Nicolas Montgermont compile pmpd for osX, so a recent binary exist somewhere. I have no idea about recent build for windows.

cheers