[PD] [PD-announce] Pd version 0.48-0test7

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:50:11 CEST 2017

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 2:30 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> what is the "Forget all...." for preferences supposed to do? Reset Pd to
> first install state?

You're only half right.

There are *two* preferences:

* core preferences: paths, libs, audio devs, startup flags
* GUI-only preferences

Forget all... clears the core preferences only.

> If so I would assume when I "forget all" I would get
> the "Would you like to create a folder in ~/Documents/Pd?" dialog but
> instead if I "Forget all..." and $ rm ~/Documents/Pd I get:
>
> Pd documents directory cannot be found:
> /Users/megrimm/Documents/Pd
> Choose a new location?

Your assumption is wrong. You did not clear the GUI preferences and the pd_docsdir plugin checks if the previous path exists. In your case it does not so it falls back by letting you know it doesn't exist and let's you choose/make a new one.

> Should it not just reset to initial  "Would you like to create a folder in
> ~/Documents/Pd?" ?

No, because, again, the docspath is still set in the GUI preferences. If you want to do a full purge, you need to clear the GUI preferences as well. On macOS, use:

    defaults delete org.puredata.pd.pd-gui

Sorry if this sounds like "You're doing it wrong" but this release now has this split preferences system and I used the GUI prefs for the docspath as it's really a GUI-only setting.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>