[PD] Compilation - errors, options and questions

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 17 13:48:31 CEST 2017

if you want to raise multiple issues, please post multiple mails (with
different subjects).
it makes it much easier to find and follow interesting bits.

On 2017-08-16 00:25, Yoann Le BORGNE wrote:

> # You can add compiler flags using CODECFLAGS, MORECFLAGS and/or
> MORELDFLAGS.
> # For example, you can turn off optimizing and enable debugging:
> CODECFLAGS=-g
> # or *compile with native double precision: MORECFLAGS=-DPD_FLOATSIZE=64*
>
> Is this flag enabling double precision as explained here ->
> http://www.katjaas.nl/doubleprecision/doubleprecision.html ? If yes, is
> it supported/experimental/deprecated?

yes, and i'd say it's "experimental" :-)

If no, what is the current state
> on this topic?
>
> In a more general way, what are the best compilation options to get the
> most out of Pd on one side, and my computer on the other side?

this very much depends on your definition of "most" for both Pd and your
computer.
iirc, that the default arguments are pretty OK performance wise.
they don't enable any fancy CPU instruction sets, which usually gives a
very good compromise between performance and CPU compatibility.

if this doesn't fit your needs, you probably have to find out for
yourself (there was some genetic algorithm program that would find the
"optimal" compiler optimization flags, but this requires a
representative test corpus (aka patch))

m,aft
IOhannes