[PD] going from signals to events?

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 17:27:39 CEST 2017

Hi Ali,

On 2017-09-03 15:36, Ali Momeni wrote:
> what are your favorite objects for going from signals to events?
>
> specifically, i'd like to make a sample accurate / audio-driven
> sequencer.

Note that signal-to-event in Pd's architecture necessarily means the
events occur up to 1 DSP block later than intended, and possibly not
scheduled on Pd's logical clock (I haven't checked the source of eg
[threshold~] to see if it schedules with constant 1-block latency vs
variable as-soon-as-possible on the next block boundary latency, but I
suspect the latter). So you'll get late events with up to 1.5ms jitter,
with default settings.

If you want a sample-accurate audio-driven sequencer, you really need to
keep everything in the signal domain.  See for example the 0xA expr~
tutorials at https://archive.bleu255.com/0xA/

Claude
--
https://mathr.co.uk