[PD] [Gem] changed [ortho] behaviour

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 00:10:03 CEST 2017

On Son, 2017-09-10 at 23:33 +0200, cyrille henry wrote:
> hello,

> > > changing the windows perspective!!!
> > > (using the perspec message to gemwin, see help file)
> > Sorry, I don't understand. Maybe I simply don't understand which
> > question this answers.
> question : "But how can someone use the full window area with the new
> default mode?"
> answer : "changing the windows perspective!!!"
>
> if you create a 200x100 windows, the perspective is set to 16 unit
> wide an 8 unit high
> you can change that to have 8x8 unit thanks to messages send to
> gemwin.

Ah, I see. The old [ortho] made gemwin width always 8 units (not 4 as I
said before).

> if you render only a rectangle or any flat primitive, then ortho
> should have no effect.
> did you try the help patch, or with a square?

I get that, I was using the [rectangle] example only to illustrate the
invisible render window of 500x500px.

My initial task that got me into investigating changes in [ortho] is
rendering a cylinder that fits exactly into a window of a given size.
It was very easy to do in the last Gem release, but I don't seem able
to do it with current Gem.

See attached patch (it is rendered as intended only in "old" Gem)

> I used a Gem version from few month ago. I don't thik there is any
> significant change since.
>
> So, all in all :
> - if you want a square to be redered as a rectangle (to fit the
> windows dimention), you have to change the perspective. (see gemwin
> help / [pd more viewing])
> - ortho used to change the perspective, but that was a bug
> - ortho does not have any effect on 2d object rendered at Z=0.
> - ortho do have a new bug : it's perspective is not affected by a
> windows resizing, so it consider the windows to be 500x500.

Thanks for clarifying.

Roman