[PD] trouble with pd-0.48-0 and multiple screens

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 08:45:03 CEST 2017

Hi Ali

On Mit, 2017-09-13 at 11:03 -0400, Ali Momeni wrote:
> I'm using MacOS 10.12.6
>
> I'm impressed that so many pd versions and platforms have this issue.
> It's a very difficult problem to deal with; Pd is essentially
> unusable with multiple screens.

I'm a regular multi-screen user and didn't encounter problems.

> Does anyone have an intuition of how Pd manages to break the OS's
> window management?

Can you elaborate some more? I don't really understand the difference
between what you expect and what you experience.

> Anything to look into?

Can you describe an exact example of what you do, what you expect and
what actually happens?

The canvas positions are saved with the patch and I haven't experienced
any inconsistencies with that. But I imagine you can trick it into
doing funny things when you save a position that is non-existent when
you open the patch again. Let's say you have the second screen right of
the first screen, then any canvas put there will have position values
bigger than your first screen. I actually don't know what happens when
you open that patch with a single-screen desktop. My window manager
tries to place it in the nearest free screen space from top left.

Roman