[PD] trouble with pd-0.48-0 and multiple screens

Raphaël Ilias phae.ilias at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:23:38 CEST 2017

Roman, for me it happens when i try to open (again) a pd-subpatch that i
previously placed on the second monitor (on the left of the main monitor) :
instead of appearing in its previous position, the window appears outside
the screen (on the right of the right screen), so you can't see it, drag it
back...
Yes Nicolas, I experienced this with the "additional" monitor on the left,
so subpatches should probably have negative coordinates.

Hope this gives a clue to solve this, patching on two monitors is nice for
big patches...

all best

raphaël

> IIRC, the problem is happening more when you have your second monitor on
> the left / main monitor on the right?
> It must have something to do with a negative x position.
> What i usually experienced is a problem when working on the same patch
> with someone with two monitors, main monitor on the left and for me main
> monitor on right.
> The patch appears on the far right of the right screen - impossible to see
> or edit.
> The workaround is to unplug the second screen, the patch appears, and save
> it to this new position.
>
> http://nimon.org
>
> Le 14/09/2017 à 08:45, Roman Haefeli a écrit :
>
> Hi Ali
>
> On Mit, 2017-09-13 at 11:03 -0400, Ali Momeni wrote:
>
> I'm using MacOS 10.12.6
>
> I'm impressed that so many pd versions and platforms have this issue.
> It's a very difficult problem to deal with; Pd is essentially
> unusable with multiple screens.
>
> I'm a regular multi-screen user and didn't encounter problems.
>

> Does anyone have an intuition of how Pd manages to break the OS's
> window management?
>
> Can you elaborate some more? I don't really understand the difference
> between what you expect and what you experience.
>

> Anything to look into?
>
> Can you describe an exact example of what you do, what you expect and
> what actually happens?
>
> The canvas positions are saved with the patch and I haven't experienced
> any inconsistencies with that. But I imagine you can trick it into
> doing funny things when you save a position that is non-existent when
> you open the patch again. Let's say you have the second screen right of
> the first screen, then any canvas put there will have position values
> bigger than your first screen. I actually don't know what happens when
> you open that patch with a single-screen desktop. My window manager
> tries to place it in the nearest free screen space from top left.
>
> Roman

Raphaël Ilias
*     phae.fr <http://phae.fr>*

     phae.ilias at gmail.com / 06 04 45 79 78