[PD] Capture Gem output: best practices?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 09:10:48 CEST 2017

On Son, 2017-09-17 at 20:15 +0200, Max wrote:
> This is such a reoccurring question, I've always wanted to make a
> about this where we can point to. There are quite a few
> possibilities
> and it depends on the system and case which one is the best for you.
>
> A) inside GEM
> You can record the GEM window inside GEM with pix_record and
> pix_snap.
> This is the cleanest and cross platform solution, because it doesn't
> require additional soft- or hardware. You can also render things
> slower
> than realtime, while making sure to save every frame.

Let me mention A) a]: You can record inside Gem with [pix_write]. It
stores each frame as a separate image file and doesn't require as much
CPU as recording directly into a compressed movie file. You can then
later render an optimized / compressed video from the files with tools
like avconv or ffmpeg.

Roman