[PD] trouble with pd-0.48-0 and multiple screens

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 19 22:41:00 CEST 2017

On 09/19/2017 10:11 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> From what I can tell, if the window placement is beyond the virtual screen size, it gets clipped back to the main screen

which was very much desired behaviour by a lot of people: if you edit
your patch on the right-of-main screen and save, what should happen if
you re-open it on a single-screen setup? obviously nobody wanted the
patch to be hidden offscreen.
hence the (somewhat buggy) logic of re-placing the windows.

however, before any changes are made to fix the issue, i wonder what
would the correct behaviour be, if you work on a somewhat weird
four-screen setup forming an L-like shape like this ("O" being a screen)
OOO
(with the main screen being in the lower-left corner and the Pd-patch
being in the upper-right corner).
and then you want to open up the patch on a system with a screen setup like:
O O

these examples are obviously made-up and nobody will ever going to use
them (but then, nobody in their right minds is going to use a
left-of-main-screen setup or stacking screens vertically rather than
horizontally).

i guess one sane way to handle this is to
- check whether the window visible on any screen
- if not, fold it back to the main screen

dgmasr
IOhannes