[PD] problems and crashes - "warning: settings multiply defined" (on new hardware and OS - Debian 8 64-bit)

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Fri Sep 22 14:14:07 CEST 2017

I must have been running a single instance when I got the warnings.
I had the folder with the patches open and must have clicked onto the patches
insted of the starters.
It works as expected with my desktop starters.

The starters do start with /user/bin/pd followed by the flags and the patch
directory and name.

When it crashes like this only one instance crashes. When I had the table
errors all patches crashed.
So, unfortunately the error message was just a mistake of mine starting the
patches the wrong way ... :-(

That means I'll have to keep trying to find out what's wrong.
Not easy if you have been writing on a single huge patch for almost 10 years
that runs perfectly on an older OS and hardware with an older Pd version ...

> run the crashing instance of Pd through gdb and get a backtrace to see where
> it crashes.
> (use Pd's "-nrt" flag when running through gdb to avoid the watchdog
> cluttering the gdb output.)

I'll give that a try!
Though I not not run Pd with a debugger before.
I might get back to you if that gives me a hard time.

Thanks a lot, IOhannes!
Ingo