[PD] GUI freeze

Johnny Mauser joson.android at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 22 16:11:00 CEST 2017

I have the same behaviour in Ubuntu 16.04 and pd 0.46

The only workarround i found was to construct the gui in another instance.

Am 22.09.2017 3:14 nachm. schrieb "Roman Haefeli" <reduzent at gmail.com>:

Hey all

Apologies for a somewhat vague bug report about a hard to reproduce
issues (yeah, everybody loves those).

I tend to create instruments for netpd with lots of visual feeback
(song position in sequencer, triggered notes, automated values,
meters). Sometimes during sessions with rather many instruments, it
happens what I (only half-correctly) call a GUI freeze. Sliders, number
atoms, symbol atoms, radios etc. stop visually reflecting any change.
They still do send new values through their outlet, but are not updated
visually, neither when manually changed or when sending new values
through inlet or send symbol. When it happens, it affects all GUI
widgets of all patches the running Pd instance. It usually happens
after an error is printed to the Pd console:

 (Tcl) INVALID COMMAND NAME: invalid command name ".x88d5c68.c"
    while executing
".x88d5c68.c delete curve8cc3d94"
    ("uplevel" body line 23)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $docmds"

Interestingly, when I minimize a canvas and unminimize (or switch
desktop away and back) it again, it all widgets display the current
values, though live changes are still not updated. Also not all
properties of the GUI widgets are affected. Label texts, label fonts,
background, foreground and label colors, also cnv dimensions and
similar things are still updated. Or in other words: Those aspects that
work both ways (GUI -> pd and pd -> GUI) are affected, while the
supplemental features of the widgets that can't be controlled by mouse
(pd -> GUI only) are not affected. The situation persists until I
restart Pd.

That's again a vague statement, but I have the impression it got
slightly worse when switching from 0.47 to 0.48. I'm not able to create
a simple patch that triggers the GUI freeze. However, I have saved
sessions that run reliably into this within minutes.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Roman