[PD] GUI freeze

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 17:35:55 CEST 2017

On Sam, 2017-09-23 at 08:45 -0400, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> This is likely dur to a buggy implementation of a particular widget
> redrawing which may be a third-party widget.

In my case I use only vanilla widgets, I but can't tell if it is caused
by a single kind or rather by the number of them all combined.

>  It may be also due to out of sequence execution of commands in case
> the widget does not enqueue all it's GUI commands like it should. One
> way pd-l2ork 1.0 dresses this which is an ugly workaround but at
> least it prevents you from losing GUI in the middle of a performance
> is to process all TCL commands using the try/catch command (can't
> remember the right syntax).
> This way if a TCL command fails, the GUI will remain responsive. It
> is possible this introduces an additional overhead in terms of CPU
> usage even though I have not observed any.

I very much would prefer this over what we have now. Not updating a
bunch of events wouldn't be as bad as losing the whole stream like now.

Maybe I make totally wrong assumptions, but I can't see how the fault
can be on the widgets end since what suddenly fails is the path pd ->
GUI, not the other way.

BTW, neither of both processes, pd and wish, necessarily have a CPU
load at 100% when this happens. So, what is the bottleneck here? I
don't think it is the network connection to localhost.

Roman