[PD] Object sizing updates

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 11:04:43 CEST 2017

Sweet, good to know. Most of the details came from Pd-extended really.

I initially added vertical padding to things but walked that back as it doesn't seem to be needed based on the screenshots coming in. Another aspect is that this fixes horz layout issues so probably shouldn't bring in too many new vert layout issues :)

I've also moved on to making zoom work overall, especially with the iem guis. At this point, I should probably split that off into a separate GitHub branch, but so far it's in that same PR.

> On Sep 25, 2017, at 10:33 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:57:29 +0200
> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Object sizing updates
>
> On Sam, 2017-09-23 at 22:53 +0200, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> For those of you experiencing issues with object sizing problems with
>> Pd 0.48, I might have a fix:
>>
>> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/227 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/227>
>>
>> There is a test build for newer macs you can try out. It fixes the
>> wide float and symbol atoms as well as introduces a few things of the
>> old Pd-extended, including the extended font metrics. I increased the
>> object vertical margins slightly due to the somewhat tighter spacing
>> from the metrics and am satisfied the boxes are not too small which
>> was my main issue with the changing the metrics alone. Feedback on
>> this would be helpful, especially from those of you on Linux and
>> Windows.
>>
>> This is meant as a bug fix for 0.48-1, so no bells and whistles, but
>> my more complex GUIs now render in GOP again.
>
> Ah, good to know you, or rather your patches, are affected, too :-)
>
> Your changes look beautiful in my eyes. Symbol and float atom are still
> one pixel less tall than object and message boxes, but I don't know if
> you actually intended to make them the same. Box width is the same as
> it was in 0.47/macOS 0.46/Ubuntu 14.04, at least for font size 10.
>
> Attached is a screenshot of the bugfix/metrics-sizing branch compiled
> on macOS 10.11 (Tk 8.6.7) and Ubuntu 16.04 (Tk 8.6.5). Boxes do have
> the same dimensions on each platform.
>
> Thanks for your work!

--------
Dan Wilcox