[PD] Issues with Gem 0.39-3 on OS X via Deken in Pd

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 18:17:07 CEST 2017

> On Oct 1, 2017, at 6:09 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> cool.
>
> well, one more question.
>
> Gem is not the only one that doesn't run in 64 bits, right?

It runs fine in 64 bit, its only that the QTKit backend objects cannot be compiled. As I've said before, everything else works fine.

I'm not sure where all the fear, uncertainty, doubt comes form regarding this. Gem is not screwed or doesn't;t work on macOS, just that video in and out do not work. They *can* work and that is what needs to be added.

>  Anyone know of others that don't?

Probably not many with this unique requirement.

> And what about a library that only runs on 64 bits but not in 32, is there any? I think not, right?

In general no, but as most systems are 64 bit, most code written nowadays (whether directly or not) is for 64 bit. In practice, this really only matters for things where explicit 64 bit data sizes are important and I don't think there are many applications within Pd that need them. If you don't rely on a 64 bit int type, then most general purpose code will work the same on 32 or 64 bit.

I image Quicktime (and hence QTKit) were optimizes for 32 bit with low level assembly for some speed-sensitive stuff and Apple decided to reimplement using AVFoundation instead of reworking QTKit. Lower level stuff relies on more specific architecture interfaces, so something like 32 or 64 bit (or even the specific processor family) becomes pretty important.

> cheers

> You are correct and I am wrong.
>
> Quicktime was removed. QTKit was not, but QTKit is 32 bit only, so a 64 bit build of Gem will not have those 3 working objects on macOS.
>
>> On Oct 1, 2017, at 5:41 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>> wrote:

>> As of macOS 10.12, Quicktime is no longer included with the OS. This was after being deprecated for 5 versions of the OS, so no surprise. If you are running 10.12, [pix_film], [pix_image], & [pix_record] simply will not work as there is no Quicktime. The backends need to be transitions to use AVFoundation instead.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for all the details, BUT... still confused. Cause I'm testing [pix_film] on macOS 10.12 with Gem and Pd Extended/Pd Vanilla 32 bits... and it still works!
>>
>> screenshot:
>>
>> <Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 12.40.11.png>
>>

> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>