[PD] Crasher bug

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 13:14:21 CEST 2017

If you want more info, you can compile pd with debugging symbols added via:

./configure --enable-debug CFLAGS="-g"

I'm going to add the "-g" back to the default debug settings as it's needed for useful stack frame info, etc.

If you have the Xcode command line tools installed (not the Xcode app!), you can use lldb for similar info: http://lldb.llvm.org/lldb-gdb.html <http://lldb.llvm.org/lldb-gdb.html>. It can give you the exact location in the code where the crash occurred.

> On Oct 2, 2017, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
> To: "pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>" <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Crasher bug
>
> On Son, 2017-10-01 at 22:16 +0200, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> Hey all
>>
>> Attached patch crashes Pd, at least on Ubuntu 16.04 amd64. Pd 0.48
>> and
>> 0.47-1 seems affected, but not 0.46-7. Also, I cannot make it crash
>> with the current 0.48 release for Windows under Wine. I couldn't test
>> it on macOS, but the original patch (not this reduced one) crashes on
>> macOS 10.11 with Pd 0.48.
>
> I checked again and it doesn't crash on macOS, however the original
> non-reduced patch does reliably crash. It seems it requires a different
> reduced version for macOS.
>
> From 0.48, macOS 10.11:
>
> pd(4254,0x7fff79118000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fc3b2096208: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> Pd: signal 6
> gui socket 4 - closing audio...

--------
Dan Wilcox