[PD] why not Purr Data?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 20:06:45 CEST 2017

On Mon, 2017-10-02 at 15:53 +0000, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > Many of my patches that I developed on Pure Data don't run without
> > modification in Purr Data. Some crash at loading, some look
> graphically
> > weird
>
> Typically, "crashers" and "freezers" get fixed pretty quick in Purr
> Data.
>
> The only freezer I remember with one of your patches was due to a
> broken object triggering an infinite loop in your patch's [until]
> object. I'm
> pretty sure that was an alpha or beta version, and I'm pretty sure I
> fixed
> whatever object it was that wouldn't create.
>
> I don't see any other relevant crashers listed on the tracker:
>
> https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/issues
>
> What am I missing?

Nothing and I am sure you'll fix anything quickly. I didn't mean at all
to doubt your sensible care about Purr Data. It's certainly well
maintained.

I haven't reported as it seemed too tedious work for not being easily
able to support Purr Data anyway. Many patches would require to move
sliders and other widgets inside GOP windows around for them to become
visible, which would make them invisible again in Pure Data and I can't
remember other things that are not bugs, but design decisions. For me,
supporting both of them is a lost case, so I decided for one.

If supporting pure vanilla patches to their full extent would be a
stated goal of the Pure Data project, I'd have some incentive to report
stuff, but it seems it isn't.

Roman