[PD] runtime failure with externals written in c++ on windows 10

Settel Zack zkfax at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 6 18:51:41 CEST 2017

Hi all,

On windows 10, I am no longer able to load externs compiled from c++ sources. When I try,  the pd console reports that the extern in question is not found. It is not a path problem.The extern’s setup method is not called.

These c++ externs used to load and run before on windows 7, a few years ago.

I tried running an older version of pd from that time, but the problem remains.

I tried recompiling the externs on my windows 10 machine, but no luck. I even tried using the pd-lib-builder makefile utility, but no luck either.

The problem:
In windows 10, with the latest pd vanilla,  I can compile and load the C version of the extern,  helloworld.c .    I can also compile the c++ version of the same extern,  helloworld.cpp  (with setup() wrapped as  extern C).  However PD is unable to load the resulting helloworld.dll   extern.

Has anyone had any dealings with this kind of trouble recently ?  cheers.