[PD] No ALSA or OSS sound with Debian 9.1 (32 and 64bit) on an "Up Board"

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Oct 7 09:18:23 CEST 2017

On 10/06/2017 11:39 PM, Ingo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm trying to run my rather complex Pd patch on an Up Board (x5-Z8350
> CPU,32GB eMMC, 4GB RAM).
> The board has the RPi formfactor but is much more powerful.
>
> The up board comes with ubilinux (64bit debian version especially for the Up
> Board).
> After spending a lot of time with ubilinux and the normal debian9.1 (64bit)
> I couldn't stop it from constantly crashing when I opened my patch - for
> some unknown reason.

it would be interesting to know why that is happening.
e.g. by producing a stacktrace via gdb.
(from a dev perspective i find this a much more interesting problem to
solve than "why is my ALSA not working")

> After giving up with the 64bit OS I installed debian 9.1 (32bit) and it's
> running perfectly stable as before with my old amd hardware. No more
> crashes!

amd hardware? what happened to the up-board?

> All externals (except for "iemlib/mp3play~"

what's wrong with mp3play~?

> and "toxy/tot" [not to be found
> anymore]) are working as expected.
> However, with the normal debian alsa is NOT giving me any sound!
>
> Then I compiled the kernel with oss but oss is not producing any sound
> either.

did you try jack?

> Here is what I get from pd when turn on alsa:
>
> ALSA input error (snd_pcm_open): No such file or directory
> ALSA output error (snd_pcm_open): No such file or directory
>
> The (external USB-)sound card does show up in the drop down menu of Pd's
> audio settings for selection, though.
> So it is regognized both by pd and the operating system. I tried several
> different USB sound cards with the same result.
>
> Here is what I get when I try to open alsamixer from the LXTerminal:
>
> error when opening mixer: No such file or directory
> (original in German: Fehler beim �ffnen des Mixer-Ger�tes: Datei oder
> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
>

> When I use portaudio I'm actually getting sound but it is very quiet as the
> sound output is turned down by the system during start up.
> I can't find any way to turn the volume of the sound card up, though since I
> cannot open any mixer.
>
> Does anybody have an idea how I can get alsa to work?
> Debian tells me that "alsa-utils" and "alsa-base" is already installed with
> the newest version (1.1.3-1 and 1.0.27+1).

*alsa-base*? Debian>=9 doesn't ship an alsa-base package any more. how
did you install it? do you by chance mix some (incompatible) repositories?

what's the output of `aplay -l`