[PD] Debian Pd-0.47.1 - location of path and startup file

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 11 09:54:32 CEST 2017

On 2017-10-11 07:44, Ingo wrote:
> I'm on Debian9.1 (Pd-0.47.1) and I would love to find the location where Pd
> stores its preferences "path" and "startup".
> I have been searching all over but couldn't find anything ...

in ~/.pdsettings (maybe you missed the announcment, it was in 2004)

> BTW, Why do I always get this error in the Pdwindow on startup:
>
> /usr/lib/puredata/extra/"whateverlib": can't load library

the quotes look very suspicious.

> even though the library is loaded and working fine. Not on every library but
> most of them.

it would be interesting to know more about those libraries that are
affected. "not every, but most" is *very* vague to make any proper
assassment.
it would also be helpful if you posted the full history of loading such
a library (that is: turn on "-verbose", raise the log-level to "ALL" and
restart. post *all* lines referring to your "whateverlib")

in any case: Debian's pd searches "/usr/lib/puredata/extra/" as a last
fallback for externals (after having tried the standard
"/usr/lib/pd/extra/").
(this comes from the golden days when a "proper" Pd-extended Debian
package was planned to be coinstallable with Pd. PdX died before such a
package ever existed.)

i suspect there might be a problem with some 3rd-party "loader" and the
new way Pd>=0.47 loads libraries (searching each path for all
extensions, rather than searching each extension in all paths).
but this is impossible to tell without more information from your side.

> I have added them in the Pd window under preferences path and added each
> individual path to startup.
> They show up correctly in the preferences path and startup and - as
> mentioned - are working.

since i've really no clue what you are talking about, please post a
screenshot of what you think is "correct".

fgmar
IOhannes