[PD] Creating Gem Window in Windows

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed Oct 11 16:39:31 CEST 2017

Hi list,

* Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com> [2017-10-07 21:33]:
> Hi list,
>
> running Pd 0.48-0 vanilla on Windows and installing Gem 0.93.3 via Deken
> causes Problems at a few computers around me.
>
> Gem loads with a [declare -lib Gem] object, but creating a [gemwin]
> object by sending it the [create< message fails with many lines of
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GLdefine GL_LINEAR
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GLdefine GL_EXP
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GLdefine GL_EXP2
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GLdefine GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GLdefine GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GLdefine GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GEMglMatrixMode GL_MODELVIEW
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GEMgluLookAt 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 1 0
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GEMglLoadIdentity
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GEMglMatrixMode GL_PROJECTION
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GEMglLoadIdentity
> 	... couldn't create
>  	 GEMglFrustum -1 1 -1 1 1 20
> 	... couldn't create
>
> IOhannes suspected a problem with the presence of a file Gem-meta.pd in
> the search path, but there seems no such file present on the computers
> at hand.
>
> Using the Gem Windows installer from
> http://gem.iem.at/releases/0.93.3/Gem-0.93.3-W32-i686.exe
> did not help either.
>
> This problem persists largely on Windows 10 machines and is present or
> not on identical operating system versions on different installations.

After a suggestion that Gem might be lacking certain Microsoft Visual
C++ libraries in Windows10 installations I am trying to track down the
exact name of the required libraries. I am unable to find that
information from the mailinglist archive. It would be great if someone
who has/had the same problem could help us out here.

Thank you for all ideas,
Peter