[PD] Debian Pd-0.47.1 - location of path and startup file

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 11 20:47:33 CEST 2017

On 10/11/2017 04:34 PM, Ingo wrote:
> When I add a library in Pd with "New" Pd starts at my home directory. When I
> select the path it adds the full path name.
> If I don't want that I would have to remove the full path explicitly.

i don't understand this paragraph.

>> furthermore, why-of-why do you have "/usr/lib/puredata/extra/cxc" rather
>> than "/usr/lib/pd/extra/cxc"?
>> is this deken's doing?
>
> Yes, that's where Deken is installing on my system.

ah well, it will install there if you don't have any apt-installed
external yet (as this will create the /usr/lib/pd/extra/ path, and deken
can then use it - if run as root).
this is arguably a bug in the Debian package of "puredata".

> I remember with an older version it installed into my home directory inside a
> folder with pd-externals - even if I installed as root.

it will install into the first existing directory it finds where it can
write things to.
if you run as a normal user, you will not be able to write directly into
/usr/ (only root can do that).

> I was actually running Pd as root. But it certainly does not install into
> "/usr/lib/pd/extra/" where all externals libs install with apt-get.

yes this is expected. you shouldn't run Pd as root though.

> Selecting the path from the preferences adds the full path. All libraries are
> working - I'm just getting these error messages during start up.

i'm really talking about the "libraries" section, not about the "search
paths".

for many libraries (e.g. "cxc") it doesn't make *any sense* to try to
load the library "/foo/path/to/cxc", as the library is really only a
directory.
the built-in library loader doesn't load paths as library (if you want
that, you must use libdir).
that's why you get errors when trying to load
"/usr/lib/puredata/extra/cxc", as this library simply cannot be loaded
like that.
remove all full paths from your libraries section where you don't have a
file "/full/path/to/${PDLIB}/${PDLIB}.pd_linux"
e.g. there is no "/usr/lib/puredata/extra/cxc/cxc.pd_linux" so you
should remove "/usr/lib/puredata/extra/cxc" from the libraries.
there *is* a "/usr/lib/puredata/extra/zexy/zexy.pd_linux", so you can
keep that.

though shall not blindly add paths and libraries.
in general, you shouldn't add "many" paths and libraries to your setup
anyhow, and instead use [declare].

mdar
IOhannes