[PD] Trouble Re-Installing Gem

Greg Zifcak greg at gzifcak.net
Thu Oct 12 17:10:01 CEST 2017

Thanks for the input all. I saw the mailing list archive but my search skills must be lacking.

To clarify, I originally downloaded the Gem folder and placed it in the folder next to the Pd application file, and assumed correctly that this would not do anything. That is when I found out about the help menu installation feature, and installed it from there.

My installation process in attempting to fix the problem was: delete existing Pd folders, download Pd 0.48 or 0.47 32 bit from https://puredata.info/downloads/pure-data, then install Gem from the help menu.

I finally solved the issue by adding the path to the Gem folder (Contents/Resources/extra) to "Startup" in "Preferences". What led me down this course of investigation was that I noticed that the path Pd said it was installing Gem was Contents/Resources/Scripts/extra, even though it wasn't really putting it there. I don't know why it didn't add a path to startup; I'm guess it did on the first install when it originally worked. I also still don't understand how the installation knew to warn me that a previous folder didn't exist, since I deleted the folder structure and couldn't find any other Pd folders on my system.

After some of the failed installation attempts before I added the path, gemwin and gemhead appeared to be created correctly, but pix_draw and pix_texture did not (dotted lines). I assume that Gem wasn't being loaded at all since I hadn't added the path yet, and that the graphics were just inconsistent.

Anyway, glad it's working again and I've learned a little more about how installation is supposed to work.