[PD] cannot use declare for loading sound files

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 19:29:31 CEST 2017

it's an abstraction that contains [readsf~], so I'm sending it an open
message with the name of the sound file, hoping it finds from the declared
paths.

so, I'm using [declare -path ../] to load the path relative to the patch's
path.

that is "/Users/porres/Desktop/pdreverb/05dattorro/../" by the way, and it
shows up as one of the search paths when using  "verbose on".

So, when I open my abstraction, I can see the declared path as one of the
places it searched until it found my abstraction.

Now, when trying to open a sound file from within that abstraction, it
can't find the wave file I'm looking for, and if I check the verbose print
I can also see that it didn't look for the path I had declared.

Here's a full print

*tried /Users/porres/Documents/Pd/externals/else/piano.wav and failed*
*tried /Users/porres/Documents/Pd/externals/piano.wav and failed*
*tried /Users/porres/Documents/Pd/externals/cyclone/piano.wav and failed*
*tried /Users/porres/Documents/Pd/externals/else/piano.wav and failed*
*tried /Users/porres/Documents/Pd/externals/soundhack/piano.wav and failed*
*tried /Users/porres/Documents/Pd/sounds/piano.wav and failed*
*tried /Users/porres/Library/Pd/piano.wav and failed*
*tried /Library/Pd/piano.wav and failed*
*tried
/Applications/Pd-0.48-0.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/../extra/piano.wav
and failed*
*tried
/Applications/Pd-0.48-0.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/../doc/5.reference/piano.wav
and failed*

Now, if I try to laod inside my abstraction a pd patch (that is, another
abstraction) that's inside the declared path, it can look for it and find
it there. I tried loading a file named "fm.pd", it works, and here's what I
got.

*tried /Users/porres/Desktop/pdreverb/05dattorro/../fm.pd and succeeded*

 just like that, it succeeded in the first attempt!

So, this all makes me believe that the declared paths relative to the patch
are not, somehow, listed as search paths for other things like sound files,
or maybe that's a problem with [readsf~]?

cheers