[PD] [PD-announce] PuREST JSON 1.4.2 "Argo in shipyard" released

Jack jack at rybn.org
Wed Oct 18 13:07:49 CEST 2017

Hello Johannes,

I keep this topic for the list since it is related to purest_json...

Le 18/10/2017 à 12:36, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :

>>> And in current distributions it is superseded by libjson-c3.
>
> hmm, this is inaccurate, or at least it misses some information.
>
> the package has been renamed not because the maintainers thought it was
> a fun thing to do, but because newer versions of json-c have broken ABI
> (so you cannot use an application that was linked against libjson-c2
> with the new libjson-c3, simply because the new one is missing some
> symbols).
>
> this also means that if you have a PuREST JSON linked against the old
> libjson-c2, it cannot be used with the libjson-c3 package. or vice versa.
>

> On 2017-10-18 12:07, Jack wrote:
>>
>> Do we need a new version of purest_json on deken ?
>
> well, yes or no.
> there's no need for a "new version" at all, since there is no need to
> change PuREST JSON (the source code).
> you could however recompile purest-json against the new json-c and
> upload an *alternative* version. this alternative version will not be
> usable on systems that ship libjson-c2.
> so if a new upload replaces the old one, you will see the same problem
> on other machines ("this doesn't necessarily involve "physical
> replacement"; it's enough to lure people into downloading the new one,
> e.g. by bumping the version number)
>
> deken is not really meant for such use cases at all.
>
> however, other package management systems do provide means to track ABI
> changes in libraries. e.g. "apt", the Debian package manager.
> so if you have the option to use the Debian packages, please use them.
> all these problems will be gone!
Is there a reason that when I try to do :
$ sudo apt install pd-purest-json

apt tries to download :
gem gem-doc gem-extra gem-plugin-gmerlin gem-plugin-lqt
gem-plugin-magick gem-plugin-v4l2 pd-libdir pd-purest-json puredata
puredata-core puredata-doc puredata-extra puredata-gui puredata-utils

I still have installed Pd from source (idem for Gem) ?
Thank you for your clarification.
++

Jack