[PD] initbang in vanilla (was Re: how to destroy/delete an object with dynamic patching?)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 19 17:23:53 CEST 2017

On 10/19/2017 03:20 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Well, I guess this is now turning into a request to bring such
> functionalities to vanilla. My point being that it'd be of vital importance
> if we want Pd Vanilla to have any real functionality of providing ways to
> program powerful external abstractions.

yawn.
sorry, but you are 10 years late. we've had this discussion. multiple
times. the conclusion was that Pd now provides the infrastucture to
implement [initbang] as an external.
personally, i think this is good enough, and most likely all we will
ever get.
i'm pretty tired of issues being re-raised over more than a decade.
(it obviously show that there is interest in the problem. but we now do
have a solution and your point currently is mainly that you don't like
the particula implementation of it)

> If not, since I do not want dependancies to other external libraries, the
> only way would be to "steal" it for my library, huh? What are the ethics on
> that?

(you probably deserve eternal damnation for such a thing.)
most likely you will discover another issue that has been neatly solved
in iemguts in a week or two. and steal that.
and then you discover that iemguts hsa other nifty things.
and just steal all of them, until you have stolen it all. just for the
sake of "not having a dependency".

apart from that, iemguts is licensed under the GPL-2+.
everybody is free to use it under this license (but note, that e.g. ELSE
is currently not compatible with GPL)

gfmadsr
IOhannes