[PD] initbang in vanilla (was Re: how to destroy/delete an object with dynamic patching?)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Oct 21 09:08:40 CEST 2017

On 10/20/2017 10:19 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> Though I mostly agree with you, I disagree with the notion that raising
> the same thing several times is necessarily a bad thing. I'm living in
> a country where the people directly vote about some decisions. We would
> live in medieval times still - so to speak - if we hadn't voted about
> the same thing many times. 10 years later, the (Pd-) world might have
> changed a bit and suddenly implementing [initbang] in Pd-vanilla is
> considered nice and pretty.. How can you know?

no sorry, that's not how it works.

while i totally agree on the general terms, this doesn't apply to the
current issue.

the initbang discussion has *started* >10 years ago (for what it is
worth: this is when I first implemented it).
since then the issue was raised again and again.
1.5 years ago (see the post from miller that alex linked to) a decision
was made, which was greeted with an "EVERYONE WINS" by the community
(and i don't remember anybody objecting).

so what has changed in the last 20 months?

of course, we are living in a free world and you are free to raise your
concerns about any decision, even it has reached consensus a minute ago.
and if others don't want to get through all this again and again, they
free to blacklist your address.
though this is probably counterproductive on the long run.

gfadsr
IOhannes