[PD] Changing pd path in Settings stores current audio api to .pdsettings

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sat Nov 11 13:50:49 CET 2017

* IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> [2017-11-11 00:10]:
> On 11/10/2017 01:46 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > For many years I started pd on Linux from the console with its default audio
> > settings from my then .pdrc defaulting to alsa with a simple
> > 	pd
> >
> > When I needed pd to use jack I would start
> > 	pd -jack
> >
> > Nowadays it seems that pd stores whatever audio API I am currently using
> > whenever I change any aspect of its settings, eg. changing search paths.
> >
> > This can lead to
> > 	pd
> > telling me that jack is not running. I have to check every time I modify any pd setting which audio API gets stored to
> > .pdsettings and if that is my prefered default (alsa). Is there anything
> > I can do to have a fixed default API regardless of other settings (a
> > bash alias is not an option)?
>
> i was going to suggest an alias, but alas.
>
> how about a wrapper script?
>
> ~~~
> $ cat /usr/local/bin/pd
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/pd -alsa "$@"
> $
> ~~~
Thank you!
This works indeed as pd is able to handle
	pd -alsa -jack
and jack is given preference without an error message while
	pd -jack -alsa
does indeed select alsa.

Another nasty temporary workaround is to remove write permissions on .pdsettings.

> there's a related PR on github (it doesn't solve your problem, but also
> tries to avoid spilling some cmdline options into the Pd-settings)
>   https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/153
Good to know! Perhaps the same should be done for the audio API
settings? Dan?

best, Peter