[PD] autotools

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:42:33 CET 2017

Yeah, I'm looking into not using libtool actually, partially for this reason. We are using it with port audio and port midi, but it's not really required for things which are only statically linked in the project. The dll we could leave as something we do more by hand as we (you!) have worked out the set of steps needed.

it's recommended to only use libtool for when it's actually necessary and this is really for building cross-platform shared libraries. It will be great for libpd, for instance, but I'm thinking now we don't really need it for desktop Pd.

> On Dec 3, 2017, at 1:39 PM, Christof Ressi <christof.ressi at gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> Yeah and that's largely due to the current layout being recursive,
>
> hmmm.. I don't think that's the reason. currently, there aren't that many Makefiles: /src, /portaudio, /portmidi, /asio, /extra and for each external. aside from that, my build system is also recursive (calling make on pd-lib-builder makefiles for the externals).
> what's really slow is compiling the individual source files. while a typical .c file in /src takes ~1 second on my build system, it takes significantly longer with libtool. this is easily noticeable when watching the console output. I think it's rather an overhead introduced by libtool but I might be wrong. did you notice that on other platforms?

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>