[PD] "waking up" an audio patchbay abstraction upon live creation.

Brady Sharp bradysharp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 00:45:10 CET 2017

Thanks IOhannes.

For me, the dynamic patch option (included in the demo link I sent) is
probably the best workaround, since it passes audio instantly upon creation
as expected.  Since I'm usually holding a guitar as I perform, it's fewer
keystrokes and stuff I'll need to worry about.  I'd rather not toggle DSP,
since I could be in the midst of recording a long loop or something, and if
I'm going out on a limb in how I'm configuring my live patch, I may not
want to save it either.

I realize it may not make it to the top of the bug list, but I figured I
should bring it up, since it doesn't seem to work as one would expect.

Thanks again for all of your work!

Brady

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 12/17/2017 06:40 PM, Brady Sharp wrote:
> > [...]
>
> this is kind of known (at least to me :-)).
> my workaround for live coding sessions is simply to hit Ctrl-S (save the
> patch), which will force a recompilation of the DSP graph as well.
> that workaround is so simple and effective, that i didn't really bother
> to find a real solution for the problem.
>
> > I'd rather not force a toggle of DSP or a saving of a canvas to get
> around
> > this, as that will have other ramifications for the rest of my sprawling
> > live patch.
>
> now, if this were true then you are in serious trouble.
> turning the DSP on (and to turn it "on", you might have to turn it "off"
> first) will recalculate the DSP graph.
> you might want to avoid that, but then you shouldn't do any patching, as
> putting in a new DSP object might trigger the very same (unless of
> course you are hitting a bug like the one you were initially describing)
>
> magf
> IOhannes

Brady Sharp
bradysharp at gmail.com