[PD] Can't load external I put together and want to test

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 23:05:21 CET 2017

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 7:52 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> On 12/27/2017 07:05 PM, Christof Ressi wrote:
>> this strikes me as odd. in C, funtion declarations/definitions are extern by default, i.e. there shouldn't be any difference between
>> void foo(void) { ... }
>> and
>> extern void foo(void) {...}
>>
>> in fact, I haven't seen a single Pd external source file where the setup function was explicitly marked 'extern'.
>>
>> could it be that your setup function was accidentally marked as 'static'? how did you build your external?
>>

> more likely, your compiler/linker defaults to not exporting any symbols
> that are not explicitely eported.
> reading the changelog and README.Debian that comes with your compiler
> docs (look out for /usr/share/doc/gcc*/) might help.

When a makefile or environment specifies ld flag -visibility=hidden,
gcc does not export symbols except those declared with
"__attribute__((visibility("default")))" (on Linux / OSX) or
"__declspec(dllexport)" (on Windows).
(https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility, this doc is about C++ but it
works the same for C). Such attributes should be used for the setup
function of a Pd external in that case. I haven't found any docs
saying that explicit "extern" can serve a similar purpose of
overriding a visibility setting or default.

Katja