[PD] declare vs. namespaces - current best practice

Derek Kwan derek.x.kwan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 12:53:14 CET 2018

>> And to come back to my first remark here on this thread, if
>> [declare] cannot always force a priority, shouldn't it?
>
> I don't think so. [declare]'s job is to add paths to the search path
> and load libraries. it has nothing to do with namespacing.
>
> imagine you want to use both [foo/obj] and [bar/obj] in the same
> abstraction. how could you possibly force on or the other with
> declare?

Well, I suppose one way of forcing the use of cyclone's gate without
typing out the entire thing and dealing with this whole namespacing
thing is to basically use the -noprefs flag when launching pd (and
assuming the people you are distributing the patch to have Pd somewhere
in their path which might be a big if, you can send along a shell script
that launches pd with that flag for them) and using [declare] to control
what gets loaded and what paths are added (which actually might be
tricky depending on platform/how their system is set up). And of course
not loading the prefs file affects more than just paths/loading...

So maybe now that I type it out this isn't such a simple idea to
implement haha, but maybe it could be helpful for some use cases...

Derek
--
Derek Kwan
www.derekxkwan.com