[PD] pd-0.48.1 trouble getting started

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 9 09:49:17 CET 2018

On 2018-01-09 06:37, David Medine wrote:
> This may have already been addressed and in my tendency to ignore pd
> list traffic I missed the explanation, but here is what is going on.
>
> I am running a fairly fresh install of Fedora 26. I downloaded the
> source to Pd, installed alsa-lib-devel and tk (for wish), then built pd
> using makefile.gnu.

i'm not sure whether makefile.gnu is actually still used by anybody
(including miller). the suggested way is to use autotools.
$ ./autgen.sh && ./configure && make

> Everything works when I start pd without super user
> privileges, except priority 92 scheduling is denied me.

add your user to the "audio" group and add the following to a file like
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf

> @audio   -  rtprio     95
> @audio   -  memlock    unlimited

> When I start pd
> using sudo,

oh my, thou shalt never run random applications as root.
moreso, thou shalt not run GUI applications as root.

btw, why do you think that you *must* have realtime priorities? do
youget dropouts when running without?

> pd doesn't start and I get the following errors on the
> command prompt:
>
>>> sudo ./pd
> No protocol specified
> No protocol specified
> application-specific initialization failed: couldn't connect to display
> ":0.0"
>
> These messages are not particularly helpful for me. Anybody know what is
> wrong?

Pd you cannot connect to the X server (the display server).

does it work for other applications?
the standard test used to be xclock (`sudo xclock`), but i'm not sure
whether it is installed on your system.

searching the web, i found a few suggestions how to solve the problem
(not fedora specific):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/175611/
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/405624-sudo-doesnt-open-X-programs

but to re-iterate: you should never run Pd as root. instead, allow your
user to request realtime priviliges.

fgbmadr
IOhannes