[PD] pd-0.48.1 trouble getting started

Pagano, Patrick patrick.pagano at uconn.edu
Tue Jan 9 16:42:29 CET 2018

you need to add yourself to the @audio group and set your security limits

google it

Patrick Pagano B.S, M.F.A

Assistant Professor in Residence

Digital Media & Design

Web & Interactive Technologies

University of Connecticut, Stamford

(352)-226-2016

________________________________
From: Pd-list <pd-list-bounces at lists.iem.at> on behalf of David Medine <dmedine at ucsd.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 12:37:56 AM
To: pd-list at lists.iem.at
Subject: [PD] pd-0.48.1 trouble getting started

This may have already been addressed and in my tendency to ignore pd
list traffic I missed the explanation, but here is what is going on.

I am running a fairly fresh install of Fedora 26. I downloaded the
source to Pd, installed alsa-lib-devel and tk (for wish), then built pd
using makefile.gnu. Everything works when I start pd without super user
privileges, except priority 92 scheduling is denied me. When I start pd
using sudo, pd doesn't start and I get the following errors on the
command prompt:

 >> sudo ./pd
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
application-specific initialization failed: couldn't connect to display
":0.0"

These messages are not particularly helpful for me. Anybody know what is
wrong?

Cheers,

David