[PD] macOS 64 bit only soon

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jan 28 15:45:17 CET 2018

On 01/28/2018 03:26 PM, Jean-Marie Adrien wrote:
> cryptic for me too :)
> another (stupid) question :
> is GEM available in 64bits ?

Gem has been available (and functional) on 64bit systems for about 15
years now.

however, on OSX, Gem uses QuickTime to get images (to read films or your
video camera), and Apple decided that QuickTime is *not* available for
64bit.
Dan has done a great job to reimplement film reading (using
AVFoundation), which mainly leaves video input and image reading to be
implemented to make Gem fully usable on macOS 64bit.

see also:

https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22help+wanted%22

there were rumours about offering a bounty to get these fixed.

hopefully, this was cryptic enough.

gamdsr
IOhannes