[PD] Pd on Tiny Core Linux on Raspberry Pi

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Feb 3 07:45:50 CET 2018

Hi all,

This is fan mail for Pd on Tiny Core Linux onn Raspberry Pi.

TCL is a 50 megabyte GNU/Linux distribution which is
immutable-by-default and runs very well on the Raspberry Pi.

I managed to compile Pd and got it to output a test tone which is why I
am posting here. To do it yourself:

  * Install the alsa packages
  * Install the compiletc package
  * Compile Pd with `make -f makefile.gnu` inside the src directory
  * Run `pd -nogui mypatch.pd` from the bin directory

If you want to launch a Pd patch at startup add your command to
/opt/bootlocal.sh

So far this seems like fertile ground as an alternative to the Raspbian
distribution with its multiple-gigabyte bloat. Seems perfect for
embedded Pd devices like guitar pedals, synths, and what-not.

Tiny Core Linux does not use systemd.

Cheers,

Chris.

--