[PD] Save Pd console as pdwindow.txt

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:16:54 CET 2018

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 10:07 AM, Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com> wrote:
>
> * Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> [2018-02-13 18:18]:
>> As a follow up, I've added a print confirmation so you at least know what's going on:
>>
>> saved console to: /some/file/pdwindow.txt
>>
>> See https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/282/commits/e34c833cd977651f781e61c16e0af44b28576504 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/282/commits/e34c833cd977651f781e61c16e0af44b28576504>
> I see. I guess I would already wonder before I'd get that confirmation
> printed and possibly abort saving.

Well it does set the default file name to "pdwindow.txt" but I suppose that's not enough of an indication.

>> As you suggest, the better fix would be to dynamically change the menu item listing but that requires an additional translation and extra code. If the main issue for you was "What was I saving?/Why did I save the console?", maybe this small confirmation print will suffice for now?
> Dynamically changing sounds complicated. What about a second "Save Pd
> window as..." entry below the "Save as..." entry, where the latter one
> would always save the patch?

But which patch? If you have 10 canvas windows open and select the Pd window and do "Save as..." how does Pd know which one should be saved by default? All of them? I'd find that *more* confusing. As it is now, the behavior makes a little more sense in that you're asking the Pd window to save it's contents as, you get a log text file. If you ask a canvas window to save it's contents as, you get a pd patch.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>