[PD] suggestion for [list store]: disable convertion from anything to list in first inlet.

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Fri Feb 16 19:26:45 CET 2018

The last posts on the list have been about [list store] and I just realized that the object does automatic conversion from anything to list.

IMHO, it's not a good idea to mix messages like [append(, [prepend( etc. with anythings.

This can lead to weird bugs (like in the serializer example in list-help.pd) since spelling errors/wrong methods are not caught and instead promoted to list messages.

The more serious issue, however, is that it will be problematic to add new methods for [list store] in the future because some patches might already use the new selector in anything messages.
Since I think that [list store] will profit a lot from more methods (and I want to make a WIP pull request in the near future), it might be a good idea to disable the automatic conversion now and only allow explicit list messages. this *might* break existing patches, but you get explicit error messages and it's easy to fix by putting a [list] object.
I think it's worth to break compatibility now to save troubles and open up possibilities for the future.

Christof