[PD] [PD-announce] ofelia v1.0.4: Pd external library written with openFrameworks

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 01:27:12 CET 2018

Hmmm.I'm getting this extension on all the externals I compile on this machine.1) When I compiled ofelia as an addon in the openFrameworks file structure2) When I compile my own externals using a modified version of Hans' Makefile
I don't know where this is specified, but these are the outputs I get!

    On Tuesday, 27 February 2018, 12:47:30 GMT, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

 On 02/27/2018 11:56 AM, Ed Kelly via Pd-list wrote:
> http://sharktracks.co.uk/puredata/ofelia.l_ia64.tar.gz

i also noticed that the official ofelia externals use the "l_ia64"
extension for Linux/amd64.

i am *very* sure that this is the wrong extension.
"ia64" is the the short name of the "Itanium" architecture ([ia64]), an
architecture used mainly for servers. it is *incompatible* with the
x86_64 aka amd64 instruction set (which is the CPU that is built in
practically all PCs and Apple computers these days)
those processors are built by intel, which probably has caused the
confusion.

there's [PR297] which tries to fix this by using arch-specific
extensions that actually match the canonical names for CPU architectures
(or at least wide-spread variants thereof).

i'd suggest to avoid this extension and instead use the generic "pd_linux".

gmsadr
IOhannes

[ia64] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-64
[PR297] https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/297