[PD] adding outlets to [inlet~] (was How can a signal inlet of an object know if it's receiving a signal)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:20:35 CET 2018

yeah, but it's a completely different picture.

we're talking here about an "invisible" inlet. Please note that [inlet~]
does not actually have any real inlet on its box.

I was also assuming and pretty sure it'd be easy to handle both signal and
control data for [inlet~], but adding an inlet to a canvas is a completely
different process than adding an inlet to an object, and it really has to
be either a control inlet or an audio inlet.

Have a look at the code, where I highlighted it, this is it:
canvas_addinlet(x->x_canvas,
&x->x_obj.ob_pd, &s_signal);

As you can see, you need to specify if it is a signal or not.

And if we're talking about external coding, it is also actually the same
deal if you are adding secondary inlets to an object. You cannot have a
secondary inlet taking both a signal and a symbol input for instance. I can
only assume it is because of the same limitation.

cheers