[PD] what's up with "#" and iemgui labels (bug)?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 13 09:42:01 CET 2018

On 2018-03-12 23:09, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Hi, "#" characters become "$" when trying to put them into GUI labels, is
> there a good reason for it?

it's a (very stupid) hack to prevent "$" from being expanded by the tcl
interpreter.
(the iemguis - btw not only the labels but also the send/receive names)
- replace $ with # (rather than the other way round) to communicate
between GUI and Pd-core; after that, the symbols are transformed back -
which is why the "#" (which wasn't transformed in the first place) gets
replaced with "$").
the correct way would have been to just properly quote the dollars.

> Or should we just treat it as a bug and fix it?

sure.
before you start doing that, please detail your plan on how to not break
all patches that rely on "#<number> from being expanded to "$<number>"