[PD] reporting the dimensions of a symbol / float atom

Liam Goodacre liamg_uw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:09:36 CET 2018

Hi all

I've been struggling with the font sizes changing from one release to another, as it throws off the sizing of atoms. I often use tightly fitted GOP's around a symbol or float atom, but everything made on 0.47 fails in 0.48 because the atom is slightly taller there.

I know that this has been discussed at length before, and I do not wish to re-open the issue for debate. Instead, I'm wondering if we could have an object that reports the dimensions of the atom in your system. So for instance, [bang(---[atomsize] would give you "8 15" if you were on 0.47 (8*15 pixels being the dimensions of a width-1 atom in 0.47 on Ubuntu) and "7 18" if you're on 0.48, etc. This would at least give you the information you need to dynamically resize GOPs to fit the system. It's not a perfect solution, but it would make things considerably more stable than they are now.

Alex Porres is willing to include such an object in his Else library if it's feasible, but unfortunately neither of us are familiar enough with the source code to know how to go about it. Can anybody help? To someone as naive as myself, it would seem like a pretty easy task. The dimensions must be defined somewhere, so it's just a matter of knowing which variable to call, right?

Liam