[PD] reporting the dimensions of a symbol / float atom

Liam Goodacre liamg_uw at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:08:49 CET 2018

The problem is that when I move from one system to another, many of my abstractions fail to display correctly, because the atoms fall outside of the GOP area. (See the attached image: the GOP area was set in 0.47, but it won't display in 0.48). The Context library uses a lot of tightly fitted GOPs (for better or worse), and I'm looking for a solution so that I can guarantee that they will display correctly on all systems. Even if the PD font width is standardized, there is always the chance that somebody loads PD with the -font-weight bold flags, which would throw it off again.

An external object that reported the system standard dimensions would offer a solution, since you could then set the abstraction to resize itself according to the system.

I'm also open to other solutions, if anyone can think of them.