[PD] Notes about cross-platform installation

abel.jerome at free.fr abel.jerome at free.fr
Tue Mar 27 11:44:49 CEST 2018

# X-PLATFORM INSTALLATION NOTES

Hi,

For the new version of [malinette](http://framagit.org/malinette), I would like to find the easiest way to install pd with 21 external libraries and our project. Here, "Installation" has not the same meaning than "INSTALL.txt" file, which is about compilation. We should have a "one-click" installation : download, unzip and launch.

## GENERAL NOTES
- In "INSTALL.txt", I don't understand this command :"./configure --enable-universal". Is it possible to compile Pure Data for Windows, Mac and Linux from a Linux computer ?
- When add "-lib" ? Here's the answer : https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2017-12/121024.html
- Big enhancement of Deken for us : [Download a list of packages](https://github.com/pure-data/deken/issues/94)
- May be an up-to-date text on puredata.info would be nice.

## WINDOWS 7,8,10
- Download Pd as zip archive from [Miller Puckette website](http://msp.ucsd.edu/software.html) : Microsoft Windows 32 bit version (XP or later) (zip archive)
- For Gem, copy "msvcr71.dll" to the "pd/bin" folder of the zip archive or to "C:\Windows\System Folder". [Source](https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2017-04/118639.html)
- Force [cyclone/gate] instead of [iemlib1/gate] :
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2017-12/121017.html

**Some issues** :
- using [coll] with Cyclonev0.3.beta2 stopped Pd : "PD.exe RunTime Error"
- using [pduino] on Windows 10 with a Arduino Leonardo+Firmata firmware was Windows 10 : Leonardo/Firmata + pduino/arduino > solution : Uno or Midi
- using [pix_video] on integrated camera / Windows 10. May be this version of Gem on : https://github.com/avilleret/Gem/releases

## MAC OS X
- With Gem, you should download the 32 bits version from [Miller Puckette website](http://msp.ucsd.edu/software.html) : 32-bit ("i386") Macintosh version for OSX 10.6 or later. Some infos on the [pd-list](https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2017-09/120361.html)

**Issue** :
- using [Gem/pix_video] on integrated camera. May be this [fork of Gem](https://github.com/avilleret/Gem/releases) would solve the issue and webcam usb logitech

**Questions** :
- I don't remember if we need XQUARTZ now ?
- When I download the app from Miller Puckette on my Linux laptop and I compress it to share the project, the app don't launch on Mac OS X. I use a Mac to compress it... Is it something I miss ?

## LINUX
- "apt-get install puredata" don't show the must up-to-date version and I would like to share my puredata to other Linux. I don't find any binaries, so I need to compile it from the github sources on my computer and compress necessary files. Do you think it is the best way ?
- I see .deb files here for debian distributions : http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/puredata/puredata_0.48.1-4_all.deb.
- I would like to share Gem too. For Gem, I don't understand if the "apt-get install" is better than "deken" way. The advantage of deken is that I've just to copy files from the "Gem" folder and share it inside my project
- For Gem, do I need to have libftgl2 (apt-get install libftgl2) ? This error appears sometimes : Gem.pd_linux: libftgl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. Solved by "apt-get install", but if I prefer the deken way.

Thanks for any improvements, suggestions.

Best.

Jérôme
http://jeromeabel.net