[PD] sparse considerations about jit_expr (was: jit_expr 0.1: Just in time expr/expr~/fexpr~)

mario buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 10:46:24 CEST 2018

Hi Marco,

as I said before I really like the idea of introducing a just in time
compiler, and I like the ideas you presented here. the only thing I'd
say is that I'd avoid introducing in Pd a pseudocode (max/gen~ style).
in my opinion using (if possible) an existing scripting language (Lua,
Python, etc ) would be a better option.

then, about having the possibility to write sample level patch in an
optimized way sounds amazing. I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be a
better idea trying to better integrate Faust. my only concern is about
maintainability of this new object family, JIT (in case we're talking
about a specific object family). Faust is already out there and works
pretty fine plus has an active and big community that constantly works
to improve and update it.

last but not the least, multithreading is obviously a good thing, but
honestly do we really need to have something similar to what you
described? don't get me wrong, the idea is cool and I only want to
discuss these ideas, not criticize them. but personally, and of course I
know everyone has different approaches and different needs, I think
there's still a lot to explore before "moving to a multithreading
dimension". also if it's a totally different situation (different
hardware and programming language), I keep thinking about most of the
commercial products, musical instruments (also the most complex) that
are single thread based.

mine of course are just thoughts.

cheers,

Mario