[PD] suggestion: $0 in messages

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Apr 1 23:51:00 CEST 2018

On 04/01/2018 10:42 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> I just can't see how there could be any problem, or, in other words, I
> can't see how $0 becoming "0" in messages is a desired feature or if anyone
> could rely on this behaviour.

"0" certainly isn't a good behaviour.

> But, if there's any concern or resistance to this, no problem, my
> alternative would be to create an external that would do that. but then I'd
> like to know here first where should I aim my efforts, if to a Pull Request
> to Vanilla or to an external design.

like mostly, i'm opposing.
this has been discussed about 15 years ago, and my arguments still stand
(mainly: consistency with dollar-parsing throughout Pd)

apart from that, i wonder how you imagine your "external" (object) to
fix Pd's message-box.
for an external, $0 is expanded as you'd like it automatically anyhow.

gfamsrd
IOhannes