[PD] suggestion: $0 in messages

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 2 21:02:16 CEST 2018

Well, I've been trying to stay out of this, but here's a thing... someone
could implement a "msg" object that you could invoke like
[msg 1 $0 3] to get a message with a 'true' $0 built into it.  This would
also work for $1, etc, so would be much smarter than changing the message
box semantics.

But then the question is, how would you allow message-box-style $ substitutions?
OK, we can do this:

[msg $1 #1]

which would be the exact reverse of Max's #1 convention - #1 could be the
message-box $1.

I've shrunk from actually doing this, not just because it makes my teeth hurt,
but also because... shouldn't this be expanded into a full-on scripting
language?  And what then would be its relationship with the expr family?
It quickly got too deep for me to figure out what would be a good, canonical
solution.

cheers
Miller