[PD] suggestion: $0 in messages

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 17:44:55 CEST 2018

>>What is wrong with [my_selector(--[list]--[$1(
> for instance, [42(--[list]--[$1( will give 42 not float, > similarly [symbol crabs(--[list]--[$1( will give crabs not symbol > Also it seems reasonable to just have 1 object box for querying a selector, > which is a main element of the pd message environment.
That makes sense.
Are you after the literal selector in this case, or the one that the documentation implies should be there? For example, if I feed a list with a single floatarg (e.g., "list 42") to [selector] does it tell me the selector is "float" or "list"?

>>I don't understand what the word "solution" means here. If users have repeatedly requested msg box $0 to expand to glist's ce_dollarzero, why would Pd Vanilla give $0 in msg boxes a different function that is incompatible with object box $0?
> here "solution" means a good way to resolve $0 in message boxes..I don't think what users request is necessarily the end all of reasons to implement a feature in a language..
$0 in message boxes may be the most often requested feature for Pd. That certainly doesn't mean it has to be implemented.
But filling $0 with something completely unrelated is probably a good way to irritate your userbase for very little gain.

-Jonathan